Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Walk a Mile in Their Shoes

Well, I'm halfway through my second week of student teaching and just as much in love as I was last week. This experience is everything I could ask for in a student teaching session. Being in an international setting is so dear to me, but getting an experience in a place that I'm truly foreign to is so much more than I could have ever asked for. I'm not only getting the teaching experience of a lifetime, but I am also getting to experience firsthand what ESL students go through on a daily basis. The country, the people, the culture, the language-- everything is foreign and uncomfortable. Not only am I trying to learn and grow in my education, but I'm also attempting to adjust to a whole new understanding and way of life.

Putting myself in the shoes of my students is an opportunity I wish more teachers were able to have. As a 21 year old, it's hard to empathize with the emotions of 1st graders who get pushed in the mood while looking at a rooster in the backyard of the school. It's easy, however, to empathize with the frustrations of inadequate communication and differences in cultural behaviors. By putting myself in situations that resemble those of which my students (now and future) may have gone or currently be going through allows me to reconsider my teaching strategies, choices, and attitude towards them and their learning needs.

This week I have been given the privilege of participating in the high school English classes at SCS as well. In other words, I am now involved in all three levels of education here (elementary, middle school, and high school). My plate is full, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yesterday a few members of my host family and I went to a museum here (Centro Leon) to explore the Dominican Republic. Something I need to stop doing: assuming everything and everyone will translate for me. First, it's KFC. Now it's their cultural museums... maybe by the end of my 7 weeks here I'll at least get that down.

I don't really have a whole lot more to say... I'm loving my life here. I think this weekend we are going to the beach, and I know this week the other teacher I live with and I will be shopping. Next week Monday is a holiday, and in 2 weeks I start teaching full-time! As for now, I am going to continue my job application process that seems to be never-ending...

No comments:

Post a Comment